Thursday, June 30, 2011

You've got mail

"Hey Tanya, you've got mail!" were the first words I heard this morning as I came to breakfast. Mail? Yup, from one of the children! He had it "delivered" this morning as he came by to school. How much did I delight in reading this beautiful letter this morning?!! It was from Joel, one of the young boys, who wrote of how he loved me, how he is glad we are here, and how he is praying for me and our team (actually it was more like, "Hello Tanya. I love you so much. You are friend. I am prayer for you. I will prayer for you in America too, and with your families..."). The children LOVE to write us little letters and notes and are always asking us to spell our names for them.

Yesterday and today have been fun-filled packed days of teaching and playing with the kids. Yesterday I taught an object lesson on hand-washing using glitter. I had the children each place their hands in glitter as they came in and then had a rousing game of simon says and as you can imagine the glitter was everywhere! When I started the lesson and asked what if all those pieces of glitter were germs, you should have seen them start scrambling to wipe it off their faces and clothes! It was perfect!

Abbie has taught on dreams and what big dreams and plans the Lord has for them and today she will be finishing that lesson by having them draw a picture of their dreams for the future. I can't wait to see what they draw! Abbie has also taught a bunch of the children a chant/song about our mighty God and it is fabulous to hear the children singing from across the compound!

Hannah has given some of the children cards made by children in the US and had the children here make cards to send back to the US with us. It was priceless to see what they children wrote to one another! What little ministers of the Gospel we have!

Donna led the children in making personalized bookmarks and again I was amazed! What creativity and personality shown through their crafts! And so many added special meaningful scripture to their bookmarks. It was again very moving!

We've been enjoying fellowship with the staff here and today I just led a bible study for the house moms. What a taxing job they have in caring for so many children and it was a blessing to spend time with them, encouraging them, hearing their concerns, and praying for them. They are very much and an encouragement to me as they selflessly serve these children.

We continue to enjoy scrumptious food and today for lunch had quite the spread- rice, beans, spaghetti (what?!!), fried potatoes, chipote (woohoo!), watermelon, cooked cabbage and goat. So good! Good thing Abbie and I have been able to run a few miles on some of the mornings here are the Village to burn off some of those calories!

Thanks again for praying for us! I'm trying to work on pictures, but the dang computer is fighting me today! Hopefully soon!

1 comment:

  1. These children must love having visitors come. It's so hard to envision how they came to be so happy and loving after what they went though.

    I had read this a few minutes ago and went to something else. I accidently came back and lo-and-behold there were pictures. I can't wait to see and hear about everything when you get back.

    ReplyDelete