Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What do you expect?

Our team next to the well on the second land..what progress since last year!
 Some of the beautiful children a the IDP camp (Nic, check out the girl in the middle with the white tank top!  My how she has grown!)
Mom with her sponsor child Tracy (can Mom grin any bigger??)
Brittany teaching how to stamp out tooth decay!  Let's hear it for good oral hygiene!
















In the last 2 days, prayers have been a requirement…and for things that I hadn’t expected.  I expected to intercede for the children (which I have), I expected to call upon God’s grace and mercy for protection of their hearts and for His Word to be a light unto their feet (which I also have done), I expected to claim their lives for the Lord and for His Kingdom and His army now (which I’ve done), but I didn’t expect to have to pray so desperately against the enemy’s attempts to steal my joy, contentment, peace, and also my energy.  What odd and unexpected emotions they were, but thank the Lord that He really is the victor.  And in simply thanking Him and choosing a different perspective, He is faithful.
Yesterday was a long day of traveling. First, to the “new” land on which they are building a second village where again my expectations were completely turned upside down.  I didn’t expect to see so much progress since last year!  In one year’s time, what was once just a well, is now a well, the start of a store, an almost finished school building, two huts and a finished working latrine (of which my team took full advantage….once my brave mother rid one of the stalls of the spider that seemed to take up residence there).
Then we were off to the market where we bought tons of bananas- enough to feed all 197 children and the staff, and boy did I not expect a bag of bananas to be so heavy!  Those early morning workouts with my mom definitely paid off!
Then we went to a place where disadvantage women are taught (and are quite skilled!) at making a variety of crafts, jewelry, etc….some of which some of you may be on the receiving end of…if indeed you are nice enough upon our return J
Finally we visited one of the IDP (refugee) camps where I expected to be overcome with sorrow as was typical in years past.  But this time was different somehow.  Instead of seeing what they didn’t have, all I could see was all the beauty and talent and giftings the Lord has given to those children.  I saw how they’ve grown and matured in the 2 years since we visited this particular camp and how God really is sustaining them despite their meager resources or adult supervision or direction.  What amazing children the Lord is raising up, dependent on Him and Him alone and therefore oh so strong!  What a vivid picture of “in our weakness, HE is strong!”
My mom experienced some things unexpected as well. She didn’t expect to feel such strong emotion as she met the little girl, Tracy, whom she sponsors.  Actually meeting the child, hugging her, and spending even a little bit of time with her, definitely makes her more than a just a picture and a story, but a real live, precious child whom the Lord gave His life for.  Thank Him that we are able to use the resources He has given us, to bless the children in very tangible ways!
Today was a quieter day so far, but we were able to make beads with the children (at a pace that shall remain confidential except  to say our team was “slightly” slower in making beads than even the littlest children), and teach a lesson on both hydration and dental care.
I would tell you what is on the agenda for tomorrow, but that really wouldn’t make a difference in what you should expect as we are about on Plan E by now with all the changes in what, where, and when we are doing things.  So how about you do what we are doing….expecting only that God will show up and love on His children in amazing and unexpected ways!
Ps.  A specific shout out to my fantastic husband – Happy one month (and one day) anniversary, honey!  You are simply amazing!  I love you madly!

No comments:

Post a Comment