Sunday, September 26, 2010

Leftovers...and the best birthday ever
















Yesterday we had the chance to hear Cindy's (the founder of the Village of Hope) story of how she came to start it all.
Part of her story has really stuck with me. She shared how she was in Gulu, Uganda several years ago when things were still very unstable in Uganda. She shared of how she was having breakfast outside the hotel one morning and a boy crawled up to her table and said "I just escaped from a rebel camp. Can I have your leftovers?" Leftovers. No child should have to beg for leftovers. Ever. That was one of the pivotal experiences that prompted Cindy to establish the Village of Hope. I'm so grateful that she did. These children are the most beautiful and loving children, despite their horrendous pasts. It is a testimony to Rose's counseling and love for the children for many years now in addition to Cindy's continual love and devotion to them.
Today is my birthday. I could tell you how wonderful it's been, but I don't think I could really capture it in words. I could tell you that I had a wonderful and refreshing 5 1/2 mile run this morning along the road (i.e. trail) out to the main road, with the sun rise over the African horizon creating a beautiful backdrop. I could tell you that I attended the best church I've ever attended- with the wonderful simplicity of gathering in the "all purpose" open building, sitting on mats on the floor when we were not singing and dancing praises to the King with the children, combined with a straightforward, cut to the heart message on Grace and the Gospel. I could tell you that when the children sang "Lord I want to honor (praise, love, serve) you for the rest of my life" tears flowed down my face at the pure beauty of it. I could tell you that I ate yet another DELICIOUS meal of rice and beans, cabbage, chapot bread (for real...it's so scrumptious) followed by a wonderful time of sitting under the shade sharing with the rest of our team, the group of college students, and Cindy. I could tell you that I was able to hold and pray over and softly sing to a frantic and very much in pain little boy until he fell asleep after I bandaged his finger that was just smashed while he was pumping water at the well.
I could tell you all of those things and it really still doesn't begin to capture the essence of today. The one thing that I can tell you is that I really, REALLY don't want to leave tomorrow. These children have left an even deeper impression on my heart now that I've spent days with them and have seen their individual personalities come to life. Leftovers?? Hardly. They are talented, unique, precious children of God and deserve meals fit for kings!!! I pray that God's plan is the same as my desire right now- to return again...and hopefully within a short period of time. For now, I am excited to share with you all the details of this trip upon my return...but be forewarned. I likely won't be able to share without tears, so get the tissues ready!
Tomorrow the team heads out to the safari where we'll enjoy a boat ride on the Nile to what we're told are some of the most beautiful waterfalls in the world. Not sure what the accomodations will be like, but there are rumors of actual showers!!! What?! The following day we'll do a drive through the safari game park (where I'm sure photographer Bill will be in his glory!) before we head to the airport to take an evening flight to start our 24 hour plus trip back home.
So for now, enjoy the rest of Bill's photos and we'll see you on the flip side!

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to have you home and to hear all the stories about the trip. I love the pictures. And you did get to go running. Have a good time as a "tourist".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos... don't know about those bald-headed guys though... particularly Ronnie. :)

    Larry

    ReplyDelete