Friday, September 24, 2010

A tribute to the men

So it seems as though there is the appearance of me being biased to the women on our team in my blogging, so this blog is a tribute to our two men, Bill and Ronny!
(I told them if they would have been measured for and bought dresses, maybe they too would have been mentioned earlier :) )
Bill and Ron have been FABULOUS team members and both are thoroughly enjoying just about every aspect of this trip. Bill volunteered his muscles for about 2 hours yesterday mid-morning to help with concrete mixing and stirring...and suffered for it later in the day! I do believe it was a combination of slight heat exhaustion and well, being more "mature" than he perhaps remembered he is! :) After relaxing in the shade and drinking water, by the evening he said he was much better. He's taken outstanding photos and I'm excited to have them at my disposal when I get back home!
Ronny has also been a delight and is our constant source of encouragement and flexibility. He's taken to the accomodations with apparent ease and continually reminds us that we needn't worry about our material possessions as that's God's job! Ron has been sharing stories back and forth with Mike, the very animated construction foreman here at the Village and the both of them together are quite a pair!
Both men have blessed our team abundantly and I definitely feel a sense of protection and "fathering" from both of them and I'm very grateful for them!


In other news, this morning at the clinic went much better. Solomon, one of our translators, and Nicki came with Susie and I and just their presence was reassuring. I was able to care for and pray over several wonderful children. One of the girls started to get teary-eyed after I prayed for her- I think the combination of the individual attention and the reminder that she is so dearly loved by God was healing for her. I was so blessed to be able to love on her even if it was just a few minutes.

Today, we are awaiting the arrival of Cindy, the director and founder of the Village of Hope whom I'm very excited to finally meet! Then later tonight, I'm teaching a class to the kids about the importance of coming to get any cuts or scrapes cared for and cleaned when they FIRST occur instead of waiting a week or so after the cuts are infected. Foot cuts and infections are very commmon here as many of the children do not have shoes. I'm really looking forward to this chance to interact and teach the children.

I promise to try to upload pictures soon. The computer onto which I uploaded and resized some photos to put on here didn't allow me to get on the internet, so hopefully later it will work and you can see some photos of the Village.

Thanks again for following along on this journey with us! Blessings to you all!

1 comment:

  1. It's good to hear you sounding more optimistic about the situation in the clinic. I knew there must have been a reason for you to be there at this time. It sounds good to be teaching them about taking care of themselves. Kind of like teaching a man to fish. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete