Saturday, September 18, 2010

We've arrived...luggage, supplies and a bit of jet lag and all

sl



greetings from Uganda!

We all arrived quite safely..and easily. The flights were uneventful (I actually slept through breakfast on the first flight!!! Unheard of for me! Course, I was strectched out across four seats, had a blanket, about three pillows, my ear plugs and a dose of a muscle relaxant on board, but still, I would classify this as a minor miracle!).
I had a sweet encounter with an older lady on the plane. Both Nicki and I at separate times had felt compelled to talk with her and it wasn't until she said something to me that we realized it. So I went over expecting to bless her in some way, but it turns out she blessed me!!! She's a retired sister (nun) who was traveling back to Tanzania to care for orphans in an orphanage in which she'd spent several years. She was such a sweet blessing. We prayed together and then exchanged email addresses. So if anyone is going to Tanzania, I've got connections! :)

Last night, we stayed at a cute little hotel. When we arrived around 8:30PM we expected to go to bed, but they apparently were waiting for us to cook dinner, so they took our order and we waited.....waited....waited....and then we waited a little bit more. During the wait, I think Nic and I got the tired giggles, but eventually the food came, we ate and went to bed.

This morning we had a lovely van trip from southern Uganda to Gulu in Northern Uganda. We picked up Rose (director of Villlage of Hope) and it was SOOOOOOO great to see her again. We almost cried when we saw each other! During the drive, the rest of the team was enthralled with the landscape, people, buildings and huts that we passed. I had a hard time connecting to their awe as it was all so familiar to me this time. But the good news for this road trip?? No more speed bumps!!!! Yahoooo! They were all gone! (Refer to last year's blog entitled "speed bumps, provision, and joy" and this will make a lot more sense).

Just outside of Gulu, we stopped at a "camp" which was the main place all the beautiful beaded jewerly is made by the children. They were all working on the beads and we were able to spend time with them and see all the steps of how they were made. One young lady, Franca, allowed me to "help" her make a bracelet. I think "help" here would carry the same concept as it would if I were to say my little 2 y.o. nephew Noah "helped" me make dinner. But she was fun and patient with me.

Before we left, I felt a strong desire to pray over the children and just as I was about to ask if I could pray for them, Rose said "Tanya, would you mind praying for the children?". Ahhh, love that!

So yes, we are all doing well, Nic's a bit weary so she's in bed as the rest of us hang at this "internet cafe". And because I only have a few minutes left (it's a pay as you go kind of thing), I guess I should probably explain the photos:
They uploaded in reverse order, (but they actually uploaded!!!)....so in reverse order:

- Welcome to our team! left to right - johanna, me, nic, bill, molly, ronny
- Ronny showing the children his Village of Hope necklace he was wearing! The kids were so excited to see their work being worn !!!
- Nic with a precious little baby - She's a natural and I featured her today as I know her kids and hubby are missing her, so here's a shout out to them and to her extended family who are all going overboard to help care for her kids in Nic's absence. Blessings to you!!!

Hoping you are all doing well! Will keep you posted as able!\
Love you all!
Tanya

5 comments:

  1. SO SO SO very happy to hear you are all there safely. So great to "see" you Nic. May God continue to bless you all, and may He reveal himself to you in AWESOME ways. Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Erin said "soooooo happy to hear from you". One of my high school classmates who lives in Wyoming read your blog and is praying for you. Isn't that neat? I'm glad to hear that all the supplies got there with you. Tell Rose that your mother said "Hi". I almost feel like I know her. Take care. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO happy to hear you arrived safely! Will continue to keep you all in my prayers! May God continue to pour out His blessing upon you all and the work you're doing! Love & Hugs to Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete