Saturday, December 3, 2016

Dressember day #3- What are you wearing, part two.



let's call it artistic, shall we?  my son's photography skills.  After all isnt there an effect that you can choose for photos that gives it the same look as the first photo? im going to go with my son has some sweet photographer skills.  The second photo was added by yours truly just for verification purposes that it is indeed me wearing the dress in the "artsy" photo.

So today's post is going to take a bit of a deeper, internal tone.  For the past few days, I keep hearing "clothed with dignity".  I knew it was biblical and figured it was proverbs 31 so i just verified. The actual verse is Proverbs 31:25 "she is clothed with strength and dignity...".  So I've been challenged to consider whether I am clothed with strength and dignity. And for clarification purposes,  I took a  minute to clarify the meaning of these words in the biblical text:  Strength= strength in various applications (force, security, majesty, praise) and diginity can also be translated as honor.  So am I clothed in strength and dignity?  And my honest answer is sometimes I indeed am, and it's awesome! And when is it the most awesome?  Not out in public, or with friends in social situations, but at home, with my boys when they are having challenging days, with my husband when there are things we don't agree on, when there are unforeseen challenges or trials of such magnitude that it can take your breath away.  That's when being clothed with strength and dignity is the most amazing. It takes away the enemy's grip, not giving him a foothold, allowing Christ to "take away the yuckies" before they even land.  
And some days I am not clothed in strength and dignity and oy, how they "yuckies" flourish!
Let's take today for example:
Last evening we had the awesome privilege of hanging out with some dear friends and their six children, friends who have supported us and prayed for us through some of our toughest storms, who loved us unconditionally and saw through external behaviors to the actual spiritual battle and who have shown us what it means to actually fight with the weapons that are not of this world.  And they are fun!  And they know healthy eating to a degree that still challenges me and is scrumptious to boot!  But in order to receive this gift of fellowship with this amazing family, we had to drive 2 hrs each way.  We ended up staying later than what our normal bedtime is to begin with and then had to drive 2 hrs home on top of that.  Needless to say we were ready for bed when we got home!  Our sweet almost 2 year old has traditionally had trouble sleeping when he is over-tired, and while we are praying for him continually for his sleep, he yet again had a night of frequent awakening, thus so did the rest of us.  This morning I was a little tired but not overly so, but I was indeed comfy and snuggly with my blanket and my sweet 3 year old on the couch.  My husband announces that he's out of creamer for his coffee.  Neither one of us felt like going to get some, but I did anyway.  And when I got back, I told him, "it's a pleasure to serve you".  Clothed with strength and dignity.  It started the day off on a great note!  The boys were a bit more tempermental towards late morning, with fatigue likely setting in.  But I loved them and held them a little more than normal. Clothed with strength and dignity.  And then old triggers came a knocking during a conversation with my husband, and I forgot about my "clothing". I gave in to whispers from the "yuckies" and felt the ugly effect of doing so. 
Thankfully the Lord has been teaching my husband and I how to not keep agreements with the enemy's voice, and so after a short time of prayer when running an errand, I was able to repent and recieve the Lord's forgiveness and extend that to my husband and boys as well. Whew, clothed again with strength and dignity.
I pray for all of you reading this, that the Lord will show you today how to receive the strength and dignity that is your inheritance as a daughter (or son) of God.  Repent, get rid of the "yuckies" and put on your "clothes", yo!

No comments:

Post a Comment